I love to eat watermelon on a hot summer day. Made up of 92% water, its juicy deliciousness is a favourite.
Vitamin C and More
Among its nutrients, watermelon contains vitamin A, vitamin C, B vitamins, magnesium, potassium, zinc, manganese, selenium, and lycopene. It contains more lycopene, which is an anti-oxidant and helps prevent prostate cancer and heart disease, than raw tomatoes. Ripe, red watermelons contain more lycopene than unripe watermelons, so make sure to wait until it’s ripe before digging in.
Watermelon is anti-inflammatory, hydrating, and can help keep you regular with its fiber. And did I mention it’s delicious?
7 Ways to Enjoy This Summertime Favourite
You can simply cut it up and eat it as is, which is a no-brainer, but there are other ways to enjoy it:
• put it in a smoothie
• add to a leafy green salad with red onion and nuts
• blend with mint and put in an ice cube tray to make ice cubes
• eat the rind of an organic watermelon (put in a blender) and the seeds
• cut up into cubes and put in a fruit salad
• put popsicle sticks in watermelon chunks and freeze to make watermelon popsicles
• use it in a smoothie
Watermelon and Apple Smoothie
2 cups seedless watermelon
1-2 cups baby spinach
(You can add ¼ cup water if it's too thick).
Put all ingredients in a blender and blend to desired consistency.
I like to eat mine as a snack, and like to have it at barbecues. How do you like to enjoy watermelon?
Images courtesy of tiverylucky at FreeDigitalPhotos.net